Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Time for Tea, But Not Enough Time To Double Check









Our day has been uneventful. We were expecting company, but the plans changed so to help the kids still have fun I decided to have tea time. The boys have been doing this with my parents for some time and love it. I also grew up with my great-grandmother and our tea parties so I love passing this tradition along to my crew.



Today I decided to make tea time extra special with the addition of home made English tea cakes. The boys came in and "helped" me make them. I was using a recipe that I had never used before so the waters were already unclear as we set off on this baking adventure. When you add one crying baby, and two busy boys you in effect have, the perfect storm! We mixed everything together, or so I thought, and I double checked the recipe to make sure I didn't forget any liquid because the dough was like sand. Nope, no liquid called for so ahead we went. We shaped the cookies and baked them. I had hoped that once the butter began to melt they would stick together and turn into cookies.


I took the cookies out of the oven and it was just then that it hit me....I had put two sticks, not two cups, of butter into the batter. Suddenly I had two very let down boys on my hands. We survived because the cookies came out of the pan and we were able to have our tea party after all. I am sure; however, that we would have enjoyed the sweets more if they had contained said amount of butter. Gman assured me that it was ok even if I made a mistake cause they were still cookies after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment